- Status - Adopted
- Breed - Akita
- Sex - Female
- Neutered - Yes
- Vaccinated - Yes
We are no longer taking applications for Kimi as of 10.50am 19/07/21 whilst current applications are processed. If you have already begun the process your application will continue to be processed.
Meet Kimi, a 2.5 month old Akita puppy...
Puppies are great aren’t they? Sooo cute, playful and lots of fun! You might be thinking a puppy is low maintenance due to their size, easy to look after…right? WRONG!…Puppies are hard work too. They require a HUGE commitment through their care and training to ensure they grow up to be a well-adjusted and confident companion, happy in a variety of situations around people and other animals. A puppy is a long term commitment, 10 yrs+.
As part of the application process for Kimi you will be asked about any previous breed experience, your knowledge of the breed characteristics, and your understanding and any experience of positive rewards based training. It is important you know or are actively learning about Akita breed traits and appreciate the specific training that will be needed.
Kimi is currently in one of our foster homes which is helping us with our assessment of her. They are starting her basic training which an adopter will need to continue. All our training methods are positive, rewarding and fun. This includes house training, crate training, lead training, handling, introducing to being left for short periods, toy swapping, games to encourage confidence and form a bond, as well as recall training.
Kimi will be homed with a neutering agreement in place which means you will commit to bringing her back to us in the future to be spayed by our vets.
Kimi's rehoming requirements:
- Adopters who have the time and enthusiasm to commit to training Kimi
- Adopters who have previous experience or can show they have researched and understand about the breed.
- Adopters who show they have an understanding of, or willingness to learn about positive reward training.
- Adopters who have a secure garden.
- Adopters who will be around much of the time, especially during Kimi’s formative early months
- A home with other pets or children will be considered, although this is very much subject to the individual animals/children and how their time with Kimi is managed.
Interested applicants should email us in the first instance with the following information:
- Your full name, address, and contact phone numbers.
- Tell us a bit about yourselves and why you feel Kimi would be a perfect match for you and your household.
- Tell us about you experience or knowledge of Akitas.
- Tell us what you understand positive reward-based training to mean.
Email your information to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted applicants will be asked to fill out our Rehoming Questionnaire and return it with two forms of ID, and photographs of their home and garden. If you are in rented accommodation you will also be asked to provide a letter (or tenancy agreement) that shows you are allowed pets.
WE HAVE MORE DOGS IN NEED
On average, we have 400 animals come into our shelter every year. Please take a look at some of our dogs looking for loving homes and see if you can find a friend for life. Where appropriate, all of our animals are vaccinated, microchipped and neutered. We also give each animal a behavioural assessment to identify their needs and help you find your perfect companion.