Summer top tips for your dog
Pet support and advice during the summer months
- Midday sun – on hot days, remember to avoid walking your dog during the hottest part of the day (12.00pm – 4.00pm).
- Before walking your dog, check the temperature of the pavement. If it is too hot for the back of your hand, it is too hot for your dog’s paw pads.
- Try placing wet blankets on a waterproof surface for your dogs to lie on.
- A paddling pool is a great way for your dog to cool off in the summer months.
- Making icy treats for your pet will help keep them cool, not only that, it is great enrichment.
- Protecting your pets skin: our pets can suffer with sun burn too. If your pets skin is exposed to the sun, particularly fair fur animals, they will burn. You can purchase sun creams, specifically made for pets. Pay particular attention to their nose and ears. Avoid sun creams that contain zinc oxide as this is toxic to pets.
When out walking your dog, remember to take fresh drinking water with you and take plenty of breaks to allow your dog to cool down.
Signs of dehydration and heatstroke may include the following:
- Pale gums
- Bright red tongue
- Excessive panting
- Thick saliva
- Increased heart rate
- For further information, speak with your local veterinary practice.
Why not try our OTAC icy Kong recipe for your dog this summer.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 tin of pilchards
- Boil the sweet potato until soft and allow to cool down.
- Add the tin of pilchards and mash together.
- Place the mixture inside your dog’s Kong toy and place in the freezer until the contents are frozen.
- Once frozen, remove your dog’s Kong from the freezer, allow to defrost a little before giving it to your dog.
- Now give your hot dog this fabulous treat and watch them enjoy!
For further information about keeping your pets happy and healthy during the summer months, contact our team on 01228 560082 | email@example.com