Lots of you told us that one of the biggest hurdles to responsible pet ownership is not being allowed pets in rental properties. We listened.
We know you love your pets and want to keep them with you as part of your family. We are working with letting agents and landlords to make this happen, and you can do your bit too:
- Complete this checklist to ensure you have covered everything you can do to get your pet accepted into a rental property, including a Pet CV to tell potential landlords all about your loved companion.
- Be honest and upfront about your pet; it will be harder to justify later if you try and keep your pet a secret and your landlord finds out.
- Get pet references from any previous landlords and your vet.
- Use search facilities on Zoopla, Open Rent, Spare Room, Trovit, Mitula or Makeurmove to search for pet friendly properties.
- Check out agencies already signed up to our Pets in Rentals (PiR) scheme here, for pet friendly local letting agents.
- Take out pet liability insurance to cover you should your pet do any damage to your rental property. For example selected policies from these providers: Animal Friends, Waggel and LV (full accidental damage cover on a home policy). Tell your letting agent that you have this insurance to make yourself a more desirable tenant.
- Contact Oak Tree Animals' Charity directly for individual support regarding pets in rental properties by emailing email@example.com or calling 01228 560082.